The Tennis Coalition has funded several court renovation projects over the years and is currently spearheading its biggest project to date: the renovation of the Golden Gate Park Tennis Center into a city-wide treasure that will be home to all tennis enthusiasts.
Our hope is to raise the necessary funds to update and upgrade the legacy courts and clubhouse in Golden Gate Park which were constructed between 1894 and 1954. The project is a collaborative partnership with San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department and the San Francisco Parks Alliance which serves as our fiduciary sponsor.
Since 1894 players of every age and ability have learned, played, and competed in an iconic location in Golden Gate Park. Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals played here. Peanut Louie Harper played here. And today, players from tots to seniors come to work on what matters — a love of tennis, perseverance, friendships and sportsmanship. That’s the vision fueling a re-designed, re-imagined Golden Gate Park Tennis Center (GGPTC).
GGPTC will bring together tennis enthusiasts of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds and draw our community together for year-round healthy recreation ranging from instruction and casual play to leagues and tournaments. It will be a place to develop skills and habits that can enrich and improve lives and to connect and have fun around a shared interest. The Center will encourage excellence. It will be well-designed, in harmony with its Golden Gate Park setting, safe and accessible, and once again be the hub of San Francisco tennis, strengthening the SF tennis community. With shared tennis interests in common, the new Tennis Center will create formal and informal places to learn and gather, where a broad variety of users of all ages and skill levels can observe and learn by watching good players. Most of all, the Center will be deeply San Franciscan in spirit — vibrant, accessible, beautifully designed, — and open to all.
The Golden Gate Park Tennis Center has a remarkable history. Now it’s time to think about the future.
- Cracked court surfaces, eroding base
- Poor drainage
- Inadequate lighting
- Outdated, undersized clubhouse
- Non ADA-compliant
- Absence of a tournament-level competition court
- Replace all courts from their foundation to improve drainage and resulting court conditions.
- Construct a sunken court with bleachers for tournament play.
- The new courts will have proper spacing between them which will improve circulation and allow for efficient programming and simultaneous use of courts for a variety of user groups.
- Construct a new, larger clubhouse to host greatly expanded program offerings (including youth programming) as well as amenities found in other clubhouses (locker rooms, pro shop, reservations desk).
- Add lighting for night-time play.
- New landscaping plan will include patios and gardens which will be perfect for socializing and watching matches.
- First Annual TLC Play Day at Golden Gate Park Tennis Center
19 May 2017
- Tennis, Bagels & the GGPTC renovation project
20 Feb 2017
- Tennis and Learning Centers Filling a Need in San Francisco
25 Jan 2017
- Great Turnout for Nov. 16 Community Meeting on GGPTC Renovation
16 Dec 2016
- Youth Tennis Festival 2016
21 Oct 2016
- Five Questions For…CiCi Bellis
21 Oct 2016
- 2016 Nationals Recap: Golden Gate Park 14&Under
21 Oct 2016
Questions? Please contact:
Julie Exley, Executive Director