TENNIS COALITION of SAN FRANCISCO
Love Tennis, Love ALL
We believe tennis:
*should be accessible to everyone
*can help young people become confident, skilled and resilient adults
*creates strong and lasting communities which support physical and mental wellness
The Tennis Coalition SF champions public tennis in San Francisco by connecting, energizing, and advocating for the tennis playing community.
We launched the Tennis Coalition SF to strengthen public tennis in San Francisco with our signature project: the Campaign for Golden Gate Park Tennis Center. In partnership with SF Rec & Park and the SF Parks Alliance, we succeeded in raising $27 million to build a beautiful, state-of-the-art public tennis center that is accessible and affordable to all. We are thrilled that the Lisa + Douglas Goldman Tennis Center opened to the public on March 3, 2021.
At the Goldman Tennis Center (GTC), we are focused on three major areas:
- Successfully launching the GTC as the hub of public tennis in San Francisco
- Spotlighting youth tennis at the GTC
- Stewarding and protecting public tennis in San Francisco
Successfully launching the GTC as the hub of public tennis in San Francisco
At the GTC, the Tennis Coalition SF will partner with Lifetime Activities and SF Rec & Park to create community through competitive, recreational and social events.
- “Watch parties” for Grand Slam tennis events, such as the US Open in September
- A reinvigorated SF Open -- one of the oldest tennis competitions in the US, the tournament will, for the first time in decades, offer a purse to attract top women and men college players, emerging and past professionals, as well as recreational players
- Book clubs, film screenings and other fun social events
Spotlighting Youth Tennis at the GTC
We will continue to support youth development -- on the court and off -- by being a community partner for SF Rec & Park’s Tennis & Learning Center program and by hosting events and programs.
- Tennis & Learning Center (TLC) program: TLC pairs tennis lessons with tutoring for students from underserved communities in San Francisco. We provide philanthropic and volunteer support to the new TLC middle school program at the Goldman Tennis Center.
- SF Junior Open: This long-standing tournament in Golden Gate Park is a singles and doubles junior championship for 12’s, 14’s, 16’s, and 18’s age groups.
- Community Play Days: We will host free community play days for San Francisco youth, plus bring elite and professional players to the Goldman Tennis Center to inspire young players.
Stewarding and Protecting Public Tennis in San Francisco
- We oversee the Tennis Center Advisory Committee (TCAC), the voice of all users at the Goldman Tennis Center.
- Through our website and monthly newsletter, we inform the San Francisco tennis community about news, leaders, events and resources.
- We meet regularly with our partners at SF Rec & Park and civic leaders to represent the SF tennis-playing community.
- We advocate, organize and inform the tennis community on issues that significantly impact public court players.
- We have partnered with UTR to bring a competitive Flex league to San Francisco, which help players at all levels find other local players at their UTR rating
Strength, speed and power — those matter in tennis. But equally important are the elements of sportsmanship, patience, focus, perseverance, and heart. The small lessons learned on the court, no matter what age or stage of the player, translate to life. Tennis serves as a tool for recreation and exercise, building confidence, teaching habits of concentration and grit.
The Tennis Coalition is a proud partner of the United States Tennis Association, SF Recreation & Parks department, SF Parks Alliance and Lifetime Activities.