Six teams from San Francisco did spectacularly well during the 2015 Adult Combo season, making it all the way to the NorCal Sectional Championships.
Two SF teams took home the top prize, three came in second place, and a third made a respectable showing at the event, which took place on April 10-11 at the Copper River Country Club and Sierra Sport & Racquet Club in Fresno.
Nina Pasquale and Lilian Kim's 7.5 Golden Gate Park B women's team overcame all odds to win their division. “It was a Cinderella story,” said Pasquale. “We were in fourth place in the playoffs and beat the first place team.” They then got a wildcard to Districts, which they won, and rode that momentum all the way to Sectionals.
The other San Francisco Combo champions are from Greg Roberts’ San Francisco Tennis Club (Bay Club/SF) Men’s 7.5 team. They defeated Golden Gate Park, Broadstone (Folsom), Memorial Park Albany, and Copper River (Fresno) on the road to clinching the championship.
In addition, three SF teams made it all the way to the finals:
- GLTF’s 5.5 men's team, captained by Ben Szeto
- Golden Gate Park’s 8.5 men's team, captained by Zach Pozner and Jeff Ferguson
- Golden Gate Park’s 7.5 women’s team, captained by Sarah Tomita and Jen Gaarder-Wang
Also from Golden Gate Park, Andrew Kringstein’s men’s 7.5 “Run GGP” team made a great showing, going 2-2 at Sectionals.
Congratulations to all for your very successful seasons!
- View the Public Art Proposals for the Golden Gate Park Tennis Center
- GGPTC Renovation Update: SF Recreation & Park Commission approves Golden Gate Park Tennis Center renovation project
- Five Questions For… Joel Drucker
- Fearless Tennis: Narrow your focus in the warm-up
- Tennis and Learning Center program to expand to include middle schoolers at renovated GGPTC