Two mixed doubles teams win Championships
Six of the eight San Francisco teams that competed in the USTA 40+ league Districts championships have advanced to Sectionals. Districts took place on April 29 – May 1 and Sectionals will take place June 3-5, both in the Sacramento area. Winners of Sectionals advance to National Championships, which will be held in October.
The teams that are moving on to Sectionals all swept their divisions. They are:
- Olympic Club A, W3.0, captained by Anne Herrera
- Olympic Club A, W3.5, captained by Catherine Kelley
- Bay Club SF A, M4.0, captained by Greg Roberts
- Bay Club SF A, M4.5, captained by Greg Roberts
- Bay Club SF A, W4.0, captained by Vanessa Lum
- Bay Club SF A, W4.5, captained by Deborah Lau
The two teams that came up just short at Districts, but should be congratulated for their successful seasons, are:
- Golden Gateway A, M3.5, captained by Kevin Gillis
- Golden Gate Park D, W3.5, captained by Nina Pasquale
The USTA introduced the Adult 40 & Over League in 2013 to serve the largest demographic of its membership -- men and women ages 40 and over. The regular season takes place January through March and features one line of singles and two lines of doubles.
40+ Mixed Doubles Results
There are also mixed teams during the 40 & Over season, which consist of three lines of mixed doubles. The Sectional championships for that league was held May 13-15 at Lake Tahoe.
Two SF teams won the championships (there are no National championships for 40+ mixed doubles): The Olympic Club A 9.0 team (pictured above), captained by Chasseray Zeynep and Daniel Brandt, and the 8.0: Bay Club SF Tennis B, captained by Greg Roberts.
A third team, the 7.0 Bay Club SF Tennis A, captained by Daniel Ogawa, also competed in the Sectional championships.
Congratulations on all of your success and good luck to those teams headed to the next round!
- View the Public Art Proposals for the Golden Gate Park Tennis Center
- GGPTC Renovation Update: SF Recreation & Park Commission approves Golden Gate Park Tennis Center renovation project
- Five Questions For… Joel Drucker
- Fearless Tennis: Narrow your focus in the warm-up
- Tennis and Learning Center program to expand to include middle schoolers at renovated GGPTC